Monday, May 31, 2010

LFB WKS KAINTUCK

Derby Day, as always the first Saturday in May. The old lady was off in the Smokies, so I drove down to Frankfort, the state capital to buy some beekeeping equipment. Everyone was talking about the Derby. I thought about the 1973 Derby. The great horse Secretariat won it in record time. I was there. It was my first time in "Kaintuck" i.e. Kentucky. I was only 22 years old, working as a deckhand on the Delta Queen. I snuck my girlfriend, Carolyn, on the boat for the steamboat race against the Belle of Louisville. After that we drove around Kaintuck in her VW Beetle convertible: Red River Gorge, Cumberland Falls and Mammoth Cave.
With such thoughts in my head, I headed home. I stopped in the small town of Stamping Ground, Kentucky. Jennifer Thierman is from there. She's the best. She runs the choir at St. Paul's church where Becky sings alto. Up by the water tower in Stamping Ground, Kentucky on Derby Day I found this and the next several bricks.

2 comments:

  1. I have a LFB WKS Kain.tuck brick what is it worth, I found it on my job site on 121 maĆ­n st. In Louisville Kentucky it's old and in Great shape


    ReplyDelete